1 hour ago
About sharing

Elle Clarke: Back home and reunited with her pets
By Jonathan Morris
BBC News

Thousands of people evacuated from their homes in Plymouth have returned after days of disruption caused by the discovery of a World War Two bomb.

More than 10,000 people had to move out of the area around Keyham as a convoy of military vehicles carried away the unexploded device.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the 500kg (1,102lb) bomb, found on Tuesday, was detonated at 21:51 GMT on Friday.

One resident who was evacuated said the experience had been difficult.

Jenny Dunn told the BBC: “It’s been challenging at times, but Keyham always comes together, the resources that were put in to help us residents was amazing.

“It was tough, but it was the best [the situation] could be.”

The discovery of the bomb in a garden prompted “one of the largest UK peacetime evacuation operations”, according to the MoD.

Thousands of people were asked to leave their homes as the convoy travelled through the city on Friday

Resident Elle Clarke, who was reunited with her pets, said she was glad it was over.

Like many people, Ms Clarke, who was sent to a leisure centre, had to leave a number of pets in her home.

“It’s been inconvenient, but I’m glad there’s been a conclusion to the situation,” she said.

The device was discovered in a back garden

Ms Clarke added: “I was mainly concerned for the animals because this is their territory, we were more concerned for them than ourselves really.

“Sitting in suspension not knowing what is going on has been excruciating.”

Watch: Plymouth WW2 bomb taken from garden to sea

Bomb disposal specialists worked around the clock to assess the condition of the device, an air-dropped German bomb, designated SC-500, which was discovered at a garden on St Michael Avenue.

On Friday, a military convoy carried the unexploded bomb on the back of a truck from the site through a densely populated residential area to Torpoint Ferry slipway, where it was taken out to sea.

About 10,320 people and 1,219 properties were affected by the 300m (984ft) cordon placed along the route.

The bomb is transported through the city

Lt Col Rob Swan, who was at the scene, explained that before detonation, the bomb would be taken to a depth of at least 14m before a diver would place a charge to ignite the explosive.

On Friday at 17:32 GMT, Plymouth City Council said residents could return.

A bomb disposal team took the ordnance out to sea

Council leader Tudor Evans said: “I think it is fair to say that the last few days will go down in history for Plymouth.”

Defence Secretary Grant Shapps said: “I would like to express my thanks to all our personnel involved in this highly complex operation, who worked both night and day this week to keep the public safe and minimise the risk of damage, as well as the public for their patience and cooperation.

“The success of this operation is testament to the level of skill and expertise across our armed forces, as well as the bravery and fortitude of our personnel when faced with high-risk situations and working under extreme pressure.”

Follow BBC Devon on X (formerly Twitter), Facebook and Instagram. Send your story ideas to spotlight@bbc.co.uk.

Related Topics

More on this story

1 hour ago
3 days ago
1 day ago
1 day ago

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.